Costa Mesa Live Scan

Address: 2706 Harbor Blvd. Suite #206 Costa Mesa, CA. 92626
Tel: 714.241.8900
Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-6pm
Expedited Passport
Document Retrieval

Frequently Asked Questions

Live Scan

What is live scan fingerprinting?

The California Department of Justice provides an automated service for criminal history background checks that may be required as a condition of employment, licensing, certification, foreign adoptions or VISA/Immigration clearances.

What are the fees for live scan fingerprinting?

A fingerprint-rolling fee will be collected when applicant get his or her fingerprints taken. There is also a criminal history processing fee collected by the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation for the background checks. While often paid by the agency requesting criminal history reviews, some applicants may have to pay this fee so check with your requesting agency.

What do I need to bring for live scan fingerprinting?

In order to get fingerprinted, the DOJ and FBI require the following before processing your criminal history background checks for employment, licensing, certification, foreign adoptions or VISA/Immigration clearances: At least (1) "Request for Live Scan" form issued to you by the requesting agency or employer. For your convenience, just fill out the form once and we will make additional copies for you. Here is an example of a "Request for Live Scan" form. A valid photo identification (i.e. driver's license, passport, military identification). No appointment necessary. It's first come first served basis. The average processing time for a Live Scan takes 5-10 minutes.

Do you provide immigration live scan service?

Yes, please bring "Request Visa/Immigration Form - BCII 8016RR" with you. For more information about Visa, immigration and foreign adoptions please visit the Department of Justice website.

What is ink card service?

The traditional process of recording fingerprint patterns through a rolling process using ink. Hard card fingerprints are commonly used for immigration, personal criminal background checks, out of state (non California DOJ) employment and/or licensure for background clearance. Please bring additional hard cards when you come in for Ink Card service.

Do you provide mobile live scan services?

Yes, please give us a call if you need Costa Mesa Live Scan to come to you. You need 15 or more applicants for mobile live scan service.

Can I personally request live scan service to check my criminal record?

Yes, to receive a copy of a criminal history record, individuals must submit Live Scan or Manual fingerprints and a $25 fee to the California Department of Justice (does not include rolling fee).

What is the ORI number?

ORI stands for Originating Response Indicator. It is an alpha-numeric code assigned to an authorized agency. Once inputted in the live scan system it determines the level of service required for the background check.

How long before the requesting agency receives my results?

DOJ and FBI background checks can take up two to three days, however; some requests may take up to two weeks or longer depending on the information contained within the record (i.e. If applicant has a past criminal history).

What information is identified?

The information provided is for the purposes of evaluating the suitability of the applicant for employment, licensing, certification or a volunteer position. The submitting institution or agency will receive a response from the DOJ which flags convictions and active prosecution. If the Applicant has no information on file, the DOJ and/or the FBI will send a no criminal history record exists for the above named individual response.

Where do you provide live scan fingerprinting service?

We provide live scan fingerprinting service throughout Orange County: Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Dana Point, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, La Habra, Lake Forest, La Palma, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin, Villa Park, Westminster, Yorba Linda

What is a rolling fee?

The rolling fee is the amount charged by the Live Scan agency to digitally capture your fingerprints and transmit them to California Department of Justice (DOJ).

What is the cost of California Department of Justice criminal background check?

The charge is typically $32, but varies, depending on the level of background check. Fees are adjusted for different job types.

What is the cost of a Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check?

The charge is typically $19, but varies, depending on the level of background check. Fees are adjusted for different job types.

Why do I have to do a live scan every time I change jobs?

By law and in accordance with your right to privacy, organizations and/or agencies may not share applicant background information.

If my prints were rejected would I be required to pay again?

Rarely that fingerprints get rejected; however, fingerprints may be rejected for several reasons. The most common are characteristics with the applicant fingerprints that would make them difficult to read. This would include blisters, cuts, scars and calluses. If an applicant fingerprints are rejected on this basis, the originating Live Scan agency must re-take the applicant fingerprints at no additional cost. An applicant application for Live Scan service may also be rejected if the applicant form is incomplete or improperly filled out. In this instance, fees would be charged to the applicant to provide them with repeated Live Scan service. It is important that the Request for Live Scan form be complete and accurate when presented to the Live Scan operator for service. Rarely there will be an instance where an applicant fingerprints are rejected because of error on the part of the Live Scan operator. If this is the case the originating Live Scan agency must re-take the applicant fingerprints at no additional cost. If the Live Scan service was provided by a different Live Scan agency, the agency resubmitting the prints has the right to charge their rolling fee.

What do I need to bring if my fingerprints have been rejected and I am having them retaken?

You will need to bring the letter of rejection from the DOJ. This letter contains your ATI (Applicant Transmission Identifier) number which is necessary for resubmission and the reason for the rejection.

What do I need to do if I need my background check apostille?

Please bring in your Department of Justice letter or Police Record to us and we can apostille the document or visit this website.

Expedited Passport

What is Expedited Passport Service?

We process passport for traveler who need them instantly. We provide two levels of expedited passport service: 48 hours or 3-10 business days processing.

I've lost my U.S. birth certificate, where can I obtain a certified copy of my U.S. birth certificate?

Your birth is registered with the state civil authorities where you were born, therefore you may contact your local state officials for details. You may also contact the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) at National Division of Data Services, Hyattsville, MD 20782-2003, Phone: (301) 458-4636, website.

Do children under the age of 16 require passports?

Yes. Each U.S. citizen must possess his or her own passport. Infants must possess their own passport.

My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

What do I do if there is no birth record on file for me?

If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need several different documents to substantiate your citizenship. You will need:
A letter from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record. An official of the Vital Statistics office needs to issue a letter of no record found. In addition, you will need early public records to prove your birth in the U.S.
If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you may: Apply for a U.S. passport.
You will need: Your foreign birth certificate that includes your parents' names; and Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship; and Your parents' marriage certificate.

I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

What if there is an error in the passport I just received?

Passport Services apologizes for the error in your passport. In order for us to correct the error as quickly as possible, please submit the following:

The passport to be replaced;
A completed DS-5504, U.S. Passport Re-Application form;
Two new photographs; and
Evidence to document the correct information, such as a certified birth certificate, previous U.S. passport, certified marriage certificate, or naturalization/citizenship certificate.

Please include your departure date on Form DS-5504.

Mail the above to:
National Passport Processing
P.O. Box 13290
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3290

I was born abroad. How do I get a birth certificate proving my U.S. citizenship?

If one or both of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, your parent(s) should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and, received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad , Form FS-240. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship.

We have information about how to request a certified copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

What should I do if my baby is born abroad?

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child's birth abroad as soon as possible to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to establish an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth of a Citizen of the United States of America , Form FS-240. This document, know as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad , is a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 document will be given to you at the time registration is approved. ( We have more information on these documents. ) A Consular Report of Birth can only be prepared at a U.S. embassy or consulate. It cannot be prepared if the child has been brought back into the United States, or, if the person is 18 years of age or older at the time the application is made.

I have more questions...

Please refer here.

Copyright © 2007 Costa Mesa Live Scan
Address: 2706 Harbor Blvd. Suite #206 Costa Mesa, CA. 92626 Tel: 714.241.8900 Hours: Monday-Friday: 10am-6pm